For more than 50 years, the CMT Association has existed to advance the discipline of technical analysis. This core value established by our founders guides us as we face the difficult challenge of responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19), which the World Health Organization has declared a global pandemic.
Our hearts and thoughts go out to the families who have been directly affected by this unprecedented event and we appreciate the healthcare workers, local communities, and governments around the world who are on the front line working to contain this coronavirus. We also applaud all CMT Members engaged in unselfish acts: caring for family and friends; supporting co-workers and colleagues; aiding those in our communities without the privilege to work remotely or lean on savings to fill their pantries.
As the situation grows, the CMT Association has also been impacted. In the interest and health of our members, the Board of Directors decided on March 14th to postpone the upcoming 47th Symposium. The decision was not make lightly, but we know that the event will come back stronger in the years to come. The Association is closely monitoring the pandemic with an eye on the CMT Program. While it has not been immediately impacted, we are in close contact with Prometric to make sure that we have all the current information.
Compounding the challenges of disrupted travel, uncertain business planning and clear public health threats, we know that all our members are shouldering responsibilities for firms and clients trying to navigate tumultuous and uniquely volatile market behavior. So, in the spirit in which the CMT Association was first forged 50 years ago, lean on us for the resources you need to get through this difficult period. Here are a few quick resources you can access from anywhere.
1. Journal of Technical Analysis – 70 issues over 40+ years of research by practitioners for practitioners.
2. Weekly Webinars – View the schedule of upcoming live digital presentations
- Watch A 2020 Market Roadmap by Todd Sohn, CMT of Strategas, presented on Feb 19th here
3. CMT Youtube Channel – share video presentations, podcast interviews and other free content with your network here
4. CMT on Twitter – Converse with members and stay current with the latest market commentary from CMT charterholders all over the world at https://twitter.com/cmtassociation
Whether you reside in Mumbai, Milwaukee, or anywhere in between, we all have some difficult times ahead. While it is challenging to resist getting swept up in the media frenzy or falling victim to our own emotional response to sharp losses and client frustrations, remember that this is a time when the industry is counting on our community to bring calm rational perspectives and disciplined guidance. It is on you to be the leader now. Here’s how you can help in the short-term:
1. Speak to the media, and let us know when that happens so we can amplify that through our social media networks.
2. Share resources with colleagues at your firm. Send them links to articles or archived videos at www.cmtassociation.org
We are trading through what will be an incredible case study in the future. Here’s how you can leverage this for your career and the global recognition of the CMT Charter.
1. Submit your research to the Charles H. Dow Award competition. Use this market environment to track and monitor your strategies. Share your work and help us all advance the discipline of technical analysis.
2. Advocate within your firm. Does your employer support ongoing professional development? Can all CMT charterholders use the designation on business cards and research reports? Do they have a learning & development team we can speak with about the value we bring to employees and the firm’s clients? Make your suggestions or introductions to Alvin, Tyler, or Joel – @cmtassociation.org.
3. Do your colleagues or institutional clients want to improve their professional practice? Introduce them to the CMT Program.
As we have often been told, hope is not an investment strategy. Hope does not lie in a rate cut or a stimulus package. It comes from calm leaders who are experts in their field sharing objective facts and honest recommendations. CMT Association members have a responsibility to the industry right now. Please send your thoughts and recommendations on how you are taking action and how we can engage deeply in that work with you right now, and for the weeks and months to come.
On behalf of all CMT Members and staff around the world, we wish you and your families health and safety in the weeks and months ahead.
The CMT Association Board of Directors
Letter from the Editorby Michael Kahn, CMT
I don’t think there is much need to recap the events that are unfolding in the stock and bond markets (oil, too). And it would not make much sense, either, because any one of these asset classes...
President’s Letterby Scott G. Richter, CMT, CFA, CHP
And the Award Winner is … I want to convey heartfelt congratulations to our 2020 CMT Award Winners! Each has left a positive impact on the CMT Association, the study of technical analysis and...
Minnesota Chapter Speaker Summaryby Mahesh Johari, CFA
Katie Stockton of Fairlead Strategies did a video conference presentation for the Minnesota chapter on February 18, 2020. Prior to founding Fairlead Strategies, LLC, Katie was Chief Technical...
History of Wall Street - Part 6 of a Periodic Seriesby Bruno DiGiorgi
This is the sixth and final installment of a rerun of periodic series chronicling the history of the street. The series originally ran in Technically Speaking beginning in September 2000. The history...
Member Interview with Larry Bermanby Larry M. Berman, CMT, CTA, CFA
Please tell us what you do professionally. I started in sales, then transitioned to back office jobs in the investment industry for the first eight years of my career. From there, I was Chief...
Spread the Joy, Hire Localby Michael Kahn, CMT
You worked hard to build your business and now it is time to beef up your staff. You could cast your hiring net far and wide, making use of online services and paying them big fees. Or you could hire...
Journal of Technical Analysis, Issue 70 Now Availableby Emily E.A. Meyer
The CMT Association is excited to relaunch the Journal of Technical Analysis under the editorial guidance of Sergio Santamaria. Historically, the JoTA has been the academic publishing outlet of the...
Members in the Mediaby Marianna Tessello
Market turbulence in the past four weeks has drawn commentary, speculation and advice from several CMT charterholders who have been featured in a variety of news outlets around the country. The month...
Membership Newsby Marie Penza
Members on the Move The CMT Association would like to congratulate the following members on their new positions: Lou Mercer, CMT, Regional Investment Strategist – Northern California at...
New Educational Content This Month
September 16, 2021
CMT Program Informational Session
Presenter(s): Stanley Dash, CMT, Tyler Wood
August 19, 2021
Volume Analysis Series (Part 2): Profiting from Trends
Presenter(s): Buff Dormeier, CMT
July 17, 2021
Popular Indicators Redefined – India Chapter Meeting
Presenter(s): Brijesh Bhatia, Joel Pannikot, Kusal Kansara